Harpers Ferry, West Virginia
"Settled in 1747 when Robert Harper established a ferry at the confluence of the Potomac and Shenandoah rivers, Harpers Ferry occupied a strategic position in relation to Washington, DC and the Shenandoah Valley. The arsenal which was established here in 1796 was the scene of the John Brown raid of October 16, 1859. Although the Federals burned the buildings early in the war, the machinery in the shops as well as many of the tools and parts were useful to the Confederates in their ordnance efforts. This photograph was made by Riles & Kerns of Philadelphia right after the war and shows the ruins of the arsenal and the new bridge built after the destruction of the old one early in the war."
- 1865 circa 5 years
- Original Format:
- Photographic Print
- Riles & Kerns
- download hi-res watermarked image
All Licensed images are available for download as jpeg files at 300 dpi of original size.
If your project requires an image at higher resolution, please contact us (be sure to include item number). Custom requests may require an additional charge.